Pretty Palettes :: July 2017 Inspiration
Welcome to the July 2017 Inspiration post!
When I think of July, I think of fun and carefree outdoor living. I think of ease and utility, of gracefully worn linen, crisp cotton shirts, and picnics with corn on the cob. July is also a month of celebration in my family, as my sister and father-in-law both celebrate their Leo birthdays. With this in mind, I wanted this month’s Pretty Palette to be a celebration of life and a vibrant and joyous explosion of color and pattern.
Which is why our inspiration this month is none other than the amazing design of Marimekko (which translates to “Mary’s dress”). This design, fabric, & clothing company was founded in 1951 using the fabric created at first by Printex, Viljo Ratia’s small Helsinki-based textile printing company.
Viljo’s wife, Armi Ratia, envisioned a bold future for textile design and manufacturing. To fulfil her vision, she gathered promising young artists around her and asked them to create new and striking fabric prints for Printex.
A lot of admirers but no buyers – what to do with the unusual fabrics?
Armi’s solution: a fashion show filled with colour, grace and exceptional patterns! The clothes designed by renowned fashion designer Riitta Immonen were literally sold on the spot. Marimekko was registered as a company five days later, on 25 May 1951. The following year Marimekko opened its first store in Helsinki.
My first encounter with Marimekko was spring of 2016 when I was shopping at Target. I bought this suit and fell in love with the colors and patterns in the entire Marimekko section of the store. The bold colors and strong graphic patterns were such a fun way to start summer! Click for a bunch of gorgeous images of Marimekko fabric patterns. They’re a riot of colorful frolicing florals and nearly vibrating black & white designs that will make your eyes happy!
This month’s Pretty Palette is bursting with fresh, joyous colors from my favorite swimsuit.
After looking around a bit, I thought I’d have fun making some of my own Marimekko-inspired patterns with PicMonkey, and here’s what I came up with.
But now, let’s get back to our Pretty Palette and add in a few beads!
- Bead Gallery 6mm lapis rounds
- Bead Gallery 10mm druzy agate stones
- Bead Gallery orange swirl Czech glass lentils
- Bead Gallery 6mm red dyed howlite rounds
- Bead Gallery red carved cinnabar beads
- Bead Gallery 8mm aqua Czech glass table cut rounds
- Bead Gallery 5mm 2-hole Czech glass squares
- Bead Gallery 6mm Czech glass gold bicones
- Bead Gallery citrine chunks
Here’s how you can play along:
- On the first Wednesday of each month I use an image to create a color palette. (Check and done, right? You’re here!)
- I choose coordinating beads from the Bead Gallery line available at Michaels so we can all play along with the same beads to create a beading project (see the image above). If you want to create your own project using your own beads and art beads, that’s fine as well. We welcome all!
- The final Wednesday of the month–July 26th–is the reveal. Visit the blog and use the link-up at the end of the blog post to add images of your own project to our collection of Pretty Palette projects!
- Peruse the collection of Pretty Palette projects either by hopping from blog to blog or by checking out the Pinterest board we create to share all of your amazing work!
Thank you for visiting the blog. We’re so excited to see what you put together this month! Visit previous Pretty Palette reveals to see what we’ve been up to!