Pretty Palettes :: January 2017 Inspiration
Have you felt it? That fresh sense of optimism and wide open possibilities in the air. I love new beginnings, and January 2017 is filled with them as I clean out my studio, put away some of the Christmas decorations (I’m leaving the twinkle lights up as long as possible–I love their light during the winter months), and make a list of intentions for 2017.
One of my intentions for this year is to branch out of my familiar, comfortable color palettes and experiment more–the Pretty Palettes blog hop is a great way to do that!
On the first Wednesday of each month, a Pretty Palette is posted here on the Halcraft USA blog. We’ll find beads to go with the palette, and anyone who would like to participate in the blog hop creates a piece with these beads or others that use the Pretty Palette. On the final Wednesday of the month is the big reveal, when we all post our creations on our blogs, and we can return here to share what we’ve created! You add your link to other Pretty Palette projects’ links, and we jump from one to another. It’s especially fun to see the designs on Pinterest. Here’s last month’s Pretty Palettes Pinterest board.
Each year Pantone creates a top-ten list of the colors of the year. You can look forward to seeing these beauties on the runway, in home furnishings, and in design of all kinds. I thought this would be the perfect inspiration to start the 2017 Pretty Palette blog hop.
Pantone’s 2017 color of the year is 15-0343, Greenery.
Greenery bursts forth in 2017 to provide us with the reassurance we yearn for amid a tumultuous social and political environment. Satisfying our growing desire to rejuvenate and revitalize, Greenery symbolizes the reconnection we see with nature, one another and a larger purpose.
–Letrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute
I printed out this set of colors to take with me to Michaels to look for beads for our challenge, folding and tucking it into my purse. When I pulled out the folded paper, I found that I really enjoyed looking at the colors in sets of 4 and 6, noticing how the colors interacted with each other to create a very different feeling for each limited palette.
It’s fun to play around with these colors that all play together so well. For the challenge this month, I wanted to let you choose whether you want to play with all of the colors, or with only a quad or set of six colors. Maybe you’d like to divide up the palette into the subtle top row of colors or use the saturated bottom row of colors. Have fun and use swatches as well as your own instincts to guide your designs!
The January 2017 Pretty Palettes beads are as follows:
- Primrose Yellow: gold faceted luster hematite rounds for some metallic punch & glass crackle rounds
- Pale Dogwood: the faded tone of pink quartzite rounds & Czech pink faceted round mix
- Hazelnut: shimmering neutral luster of glass lentils & faceted luster of tiny glass rondelles
- Island Paradise: subtle tones of the aqua small glass bead mix & faceted hazy blue Czech glass beads
- Greenery: faceted glass rondelles, earthy imperial jasper rounds, & fun dyed agate chunks
- Flame: coral faceted glass rondelles, cloudy red dyed quartzite rounds & punchy flame-colored stone rounds
- Pink Yarrow: lustrous Czech glass rounds & bursting-with-color shell rounds
- Niagra: blue luster stone nuggets & blue aventurine rounds
- Kale: large quartzite ovals & deep green of aventurine rounds
- Lapis Blue: rich blue synthetic lapis stone rounds & pearly blue shell rounds
I hope you have fun with this blog hop and enjoy playing around with the 2017 Pantone Colors of the Year. I’ll see you again on Wednesday, January 25th, for our big reveal!